I’m 11 weeks post-chemo and, internet? I have some hair. It’s nice and thick and even. And, well, between a quarter and a half of an inch long.
A little piece of me is starting to think that I prefer my super short hair to scarves and buffs and wigs. A little piece of me that is bold and brave.
I like that piece of me.
So I begin to ask, when do I go topless? Scarfless, that is. And, bigger yet, when do I retire my wig at work so I can weather a breezy day without holding my hair? I likely am not brave enough to do this until I can be brave enough to post a picture of my topless self on the internet, as after doing so I can duck and run. Deep breath:
As making big decisions can be helped by lists of pros and cons, I give you my list.
Going topless pros
- Honest, brave, and generally kick-*@(#
- I can wear hoop earrings again without resembling a pirate (as scarfs can do, you see)
- Compared to the wig, immensely more comfortable, which could be separate bullet points for itchiness, headaches, excessive heat and the annoyance of fake hair in my face
- Brief opportunity to resemble an action hero
- May receive compliments for my well shaped head
- Will resemble other women I see occasionally in public who I admire for going topless, too
Going topless cons
- Not much hair yet… short enough to kind of see my scalp
- General embarrassment
- Feeling of “coming out” at work where I’ve never worn a scarf
- May scare kids at school
- My head might get cold
- May be mistaken for a prepubescent boy
I’m not sure that I’m quite there yet… maybe in a few weeks. What would you do?